The original French 75 was made with cognac, but it’s commonly served as a gin drink now. Light, bubbly, and easy to make, the French 75 is an excellent cocktail. Try one!
French 75Course: CocktailDifficulty: easy
2 oz Champagne
2 oz Gin (recommend London Dry style)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice, fresh
3/4 oz Simple Syrup
- Pour champagne into a champagne flute.
- Combine gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, cover and shake about 20 seconds (until outside is very cold).
- Strain slowly into flute.
- Garnish with lemon twist & enjoy!
- Champagne first? I say yes to avoid making a giant mess. If you pour the champagne into the flute after the OJ mix, the bubbles are much more likely to froth up and over (and mixed with OJ and sugar, that’s a sticky spill).
- Simple Syrup is so easy to make yourself. In a saucepan, combine equal parts sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
Modify This Recipe
The French 75 is a classic cocktail recipe, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make some changes!
Originally, the French 75 was made with cognac. But if that’s not your thing, try one of these other variations:
Simple Syrup Substitutions
Simple syrup is just a blend of sugar and water. It adds sweetness and nothing else.
Add some depth of flavor by substituting the simple syrup with a quality 100% maple syrup, St. Germain Elderflower Liquor, or experiment with your favorite sweetener.
If you don’t have any champagne, feel free to substitute with non-alcoholic champagne, Italian Soda, Prosecco, or a sparkling water (flavored or not, your call).
Tools & Glassware
This is a simple cocktail that doesn’t require too many tools.
Ideally, you’ll serve your French 75’s in champagne flutes. Champagne flutes are the ideal glass for any cocktail with bubbles.
This is a shaken cocktail, so you’ll need a shaker.
To make your cocktail as smooth as possible, you’re going to want a strainer.
French 75’s Go Great With
Pair your cocktail with some delicious food! Try one of the following recipes:
Sparkly, Sweet, & Tart
The French 75 is delicious. Tell me what you think in the comments below!
Want another gin cocktail? Why not try my classic Gin & Tonic Recipe next.
Like this post? Please PIN IT on Pinterest. Thanks.
Please Drink Responsibly!
Seriously. Don’t drink and drive, ever! Know your limits. Be responsible.
If you (or someone you know) is struggling with alcohol, please check this list of resources that can help.