This post may contain affiliate links. This means we receive a commission on the sale of certain items. This is at NO additional cost to you. Visit the policies page to learn more.
Harissa is a hot pepper paste. It’s typically made with roasted red chili peppers, Baklouti peppers, or serrano peppers. Spices and herbs are often added such as garlic, caraway, coriander, cumin, mint, and more.
This fiery chicken dish is a delight. Serve this with a dollop of full-fat Greek yogurt to cut some of the heat.
Harissa Chicken Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless 2 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp Harissa Paste (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, diced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 can Chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled 1/4 cup Green Olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, 1 tbsp oil, lemon juice, harissa paste, honey, salt, and pepper. Toss until evenly coated.
Optional: marinate for 30 minutes to overnight.
- In a separate bowl, toss 1 tbsp oil, salt, pepper, sweet potatoes, onions, and chickpeas.
- In a large lined oven-safe dish, arrange chicken & potatoes in a single layer.
- Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, flipping once halfway through cooking. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F/75°C).
- Remove from oven and top with feta and olives.
Harissa paste is a very spicy (and delicious) African seasoning. You can substitute hot sauce, chili paste, or chili oil for it.
Serving Size:1 Leg
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 4.5gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 468mgCarbohydrates: 57.2gNet Carbohydrates: 48.3gFiber: 8.9gSugar: 7.3gProtein: 36.3g
Chicken with a Kick!
Harissa paste is so good! Once you get some and start using it, you’ll want to add it to everything!
How spicy is too spicy? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Ready for more? Check out my Chicken Cacciatore Recipe next.
Like this post? Please PIN IT on Pinterest. Thanks.
MediterraneanMeal Plan eBook
Get the 11-page B&W ebook which includes the meal plan, shopping list, snack ideas, and all 7 recipes! Plus, when you’re part of the Crew you’ll receive even more exclusive content including tips, deals, and more!
Welcome to the Crew, please check your email.