I used to order Chicken Cacciatore at this great little Italian restaurant. I was so bummed when it closed because I loved it. For some reason, I thought Chicken Cacciatore was a complicated dish. Boy was I wrong! Chicken Cacciatore is packed with flavor and yet it’s easy enough that even a beginner cook can make it.
- 4 Chicken Thighs (with skin & bone)
- 4 Chicken Drumsticks (with skin & bone)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- 8 to 12 Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- 1 whole Bell Pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1.5 tsp Fresh Oregano, chopped (1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp Fresh Basil, chopped (1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 tsp Fresh Rosemary (1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 can (14.5oz) Stewed Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Stock, vegetable or chicken
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- In a deep frying pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add chicken pieces.
- Brown for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip chicken pieces and add mushrooms. Brown for another 3 to 4 minutes (stirring mushrooms once).
- Transfer to plate.
- Add 1/2 tbsp oil to pan with onion and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then push to sides of pan.
- Add tomato paste to center. Cook for about 1 minute then add garlic, oregano, basil, pepper flakes, and rosemary and stir into onions and peppers.
- Add red wine and deglaze the pan (use the wine to help scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan).
- Reduce wine by about half then add tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and mushrooms on top of sauce. Reduce heat (slightly). Cover and cook for 12 minutes (until chicken reaches 165*F/75*C).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 21.2gSaturated Fat: 5.1gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 10.6gNet Carbohydrates: 8.3gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 4.2gProtein: 32.4g
A Classic Italian Meal
Chicken Cacciatore is a classic Italian meal making it perfect when you want some Mediterranean flavors (or when you’re on a Mediterranean diet).
This is my favorite Italian dish. Share yours in the comments!
Ready for more? Check out this delicious Greek Yogurt Pancakes Recipe next.
Like this post? Please PIN IT on Pinterest. Thanks.